The Highland Park Community — Highland Park, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Highland Park Reservoirs

Park Home

The landscape of Highland Park invokes the late nineteenth-century era of park construction in the City of Pittsburgh.

Public Works Chief Edward M. Bigelow developed Highland Park after 1889 as one of the crowning successes of his program to establish a network of parks and connecting boulevards in the East End of the city.

On May 17, 1872, the Water Commission received the authority to construct a reservoir at the head of Highland Avenue. The new plant was not put into operation until 1879.

Photo courtesy of Charlie Uhl.


Contact Us Privacy
Park Home

© Copyright Highland Park Community Council 2003-2012